After a hugely successful #AmazingAccrington Soapbox Challenge in August 2019, organisers are gearing up to host it for a third year.
The last event saw 26 contestants, over 9000 spectators, and a flurry of family fun stalls and activities. ‘Soapbox cars’ were historically made from wooden soap crates, hence the name, but materials have become more varied since the first publicly recorded Soapbox race in 1904!
Competitors will be challenged to create a four-wheeled non-motorised Soapbox vehicle, using only gravity for fuel and speed. The soapbox must have a form of steering, the ability to brake and competitor safety helmets must be worn – aside from that, there are no rules … it’s simply the first to reach the finishing line wins!
Novelty prizes will also be awarded to competitors such as the Best Soapbox Design and Best Team Costume.
You can be a part of making a difference this year, with the winner of the challenge choosing a local charity to donate to.
– Charities and Community Groups
– Family and Friends
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Every team must have insurance to cover injury and damages, with evidence.
- Driver must be aged 8 minimum to take part in the Individuals, Family and Friends or Under 12’s category or the Charities and Community Groups category.
- Drivers must be over the age of 14 to take part in the Business category.
- Anyone under the age of 16 must have parental permission.
- Soapboxes can be entered into more than one competition race.
- Up to 8 persons per team with one driver per race entered.
- Soapboxes will be inspected for loose ends or sharp edges prior to racing.
- Scrutineer’s decision is final.
- Teams are responsible for ongoing risk assessments before and during the event and, if at any point their Soapbox vehicle becomes unsafe for use, they must withdraw from competition.
- All drivers must wear a helmet.
- Drivers must be covered – long sleeved tops and long trousers are compulsory.
- Drivers must remain seated at all times, failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- The organisers have the right to refuse entry or withdraw entry of any kart or driver if in their opinion they pose a threat of injury either to themselves or others.
- Trophies will be given to overall winners.
- Novelty prizes will be given for Best Designed Soapbox and Best Team Costume.
- Competition entry number must be displayed on the soapbox vehicle
For Soapbox Race specific personal liability insurance with a notable company from just £8, please call 01494 484800 or visit:
- must not have any loose parts or sharp edges
- must be less than 1.5m wide, 1.5m tall and less than 2.5m in length
- must have a clearance of minimum 10cm below the seat
- must have a functional steering part
- must have a braking mechanism
- may have seatbelts: not mandatory but recommended
- should be built of a good, sturdy, construction standard
- must have no glass material due to the risk of shattering
- wood, plastic or/and steel chassis is permitted
- must not have any weights added inside or outside of the vehicle
- try to keep it lightweight
- £100 entry fee for businesses
- £25 entry fee for charities and community groups
- £25 entry fee for individuals, families, friends and under 12’s