What a busy night it’s going to be on the 28thth November in Amazing Accrington!
This year’s Christmas light switch on and fireworks show promises to be a treat for all the family; with school choirs, festive food, a Christmas funfair, inflatable bar, Christmas grotto, soft play area, free crafting and so much more.
The packed programme of entirely FREE entertainment starts with the traditional Blessing of the Crib on the Town Square at 2pm. The stage entertainment begins at 4:45pm, with a programme which includes a visit from the Mayor, St John’s Baxenden School Choir, a Dance Academy Performance, Mount Carmel School Choir, Claudia Thompson, Indigo Sunset and Just Imagine, who will be performing their “big show” including fire eaters, stilt walkers and a dance troupe.
The Market Hall and outside market will also play host to a wealth of festive activity; the Hall itself will be open with free lantern making workshops and soft play area and the Magical Market is taking over the outside stalls.
Later the night sky above Accrington will be lit up in a riot of colour with the big light switch on and the spectacular firework display taking place at approximately 8pm. The display will be accompanied by music this year, making it even more magical than ever.
Broadway will be busy with fairground rides and a small number of seasonal food stalls but please support your local cafes and bars on the evening too.
The Mayor, Cllr June Harrison, said: “We’re all looking forward to the 28th November, for the big light switch on and musical fireworks display, along with the Blessing of the Crib earlier in the day, which all herald the beginning of the festive season. It’s a time for families to get together and join in the festivities that are sure to help people get in to the Christmas spirit, so come along and join us and support your local township switch on too if you can.”
Also coming up are the Township switch ons in:
- 26th November, 6.00pm Clayton Christmas Lights Switch On, Barnes Square
- 27th November, 00pm Oswaldtwistle Christmas Lights Switch On, Jubilee Gardens
- 29th November, 6.30pm Baxenden Christmas Lights Switch On, Junction of Southwood Drive,Manchester Road
- 2nd December, 6.30pm, Huncoat Christmas Lights Switch On, Junction of Lowergate Road, Altham Lane
- 4th December, 5.30pm, Milnshaw Christmas Lights Switch On, Dyke Nook Gardens
- 5th December, 6.00pm, Church Christmas Lights Switch On, Church Kirk clock. Also Blessing of the Crib, Church Manor Gardens, Dill Hall Lane on Thurs 5th Dec at 5.30pm.
- 6th December, 6.00pm, Great Harwood Christmas Lights Switch On, Towngate Square
- 7th December, 4.45pm, Altham Christmas Lights Switch On, Burnley Road, Workers Memorial
- 7th December, 5.00pm, Rishton Christmas Lights Switch On, Health Centre/Library, School Street