“I love taking photos of the beautiful architecture and landscape of Accrington. I do photography work for a local charity and I have ambitions to become a professional photographer in the future.” – Picture courtesy of Terry Brereton
Haworth Art Gallery was originally known as ‘Hollins Hill’ . The house is an Arts and Crafts building which was designed and built by Walter Brierley for brother and sister, William and Anne Haworth in 1909. William Haworth died in 1913, followed by his sister in 1920. On Anne’s death and upon the wishes of her brother, she bequeathed the house, a collection of paintings and antiquities, plus a sum of money for the building’s upkeep to the people of Accrington.
Nowadays, Haworth Art Gallery hosts a varied programme of temporary art exhibitions ranging from its Annual Open every autumn to national touring photographic displays from the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain through to Modern History. There is also a purpose-designed Education room for children’s activities and workshops, the fabulous ‘Gallery Kitchen’ tearoom and bistro and, of course, the world-famous Tiﬀany Glass Collection. Recently the gallery launched a very popular programme of live music performances on Sunday afternoons as well as a series of Family Fun Days during major holiday periods.
Haworth Art Gallery also hosts beautiful, intimate weddings and wedding vow renewal ceremonies, as well as the fantastic new attraction for all our visitors, Haworth Stables and Motor House Art Studios and Heritage Centre.
Largest Public Collection of Tiﬀany Glass in Europe The ﬁrst ﬂoor of Haworth Art Gallery houses Accrington’s world-famous collection of Tiﬀany Glass. A local Accrington born man called Joseph Briggs gave the Tiﬀany Glass collection to the people of Accrington in 1933, after the closure of Tiﬀany Studios in America.
Tiffany Lustre Vase
Louis Comfort Tiﬀany was the son of Charles Lewis Tiﬀany, the famous jeweller and silversmith. Louis Comfort Tiﬀany became interested in the decorative possibilities of glass in the 1870’s and developed new techniques where diﬀerent colours of glass were blended together in the molten state which he named Favrile glass after Old English word ‘fabrile’, meaning “hand wrought”.
During 1890 and 1914 the use of nature to inﬂuence designs became known as Art Nouveau, which means ‘New Art’. Tiﬀany extended his work in Favrile glass and began to design glass mosaics for interiors. He directed his artists to cut glass into shapes that conformed to speciﬁc elements and organic shapes such as ﬂowers and feathers in his design rather than uniform squares. In this way they were able to achieve more naturalistic eﬀects, reﬂecting the Art Nouveau movement.
Accrington’s Joseph Briggs went to seek his fortune in America in 1891 when he was only 17. In 1893 he began to work for Louis Comfort Tiﬀany, the leading American exponent of ‘Art Nouveau’ style in glass. Joseph worked his way up in the Tiﬀany Glass Company and remained with it until its closure in 1933 when the fashion for Art Nouveau had waned. Before all the remaining glasswork could be sold oﬀ or destroyed, Joseph sent a shipment of vases, tiles and mosaic samples to Accrington where over 140 pieces were given to the local museum at the time at Oak Hill Park. The glass was put into store during World War Two and in 1951 it was permanently transferred to Haworth Art Gallery when it was decided that it would be too expensive to refurbish Oak Hill Park Museum.
Today, the Tiﬀany collection is displayed on the ﬁrst ﬂoor of the gallery. Amongst its treasures is the pictorial mosaic, the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and the Peacock Vase. Many pieces feature the art of Milleﬁori which means ‘thousands of ﬂowers’ and is the technique of decorating a piece of glass with slithers of paerned glass rod applied to a hot vase or tile creating a pattern of scattered ﬂowers.
Temporary Exhibitions and Events
Haworth Art Gallery hosts a range of temporary exhibitions throughout the year, providing opportunities for local and national artists to exhibit their work. Visitors can enjoy a wide range of art from paintings to 3D objects as well as local history and photography.
Free family and children’s workshops are held every alternate Sunday afternoon with the gallery’s very own ‘Mrs Maker’ , Susan Watson. The workshops suit children of all ages and there is no need to book – you can just drop in – please see the gallery Facebook page for details. In addition, there is also a free live music programme held on alternate Sundays ranging from Irish sing-a-long to classical guitar. These concerts are proving to be very popular and early arrival is recommended to secure a seat!
Again, details can be found on the gallery Facebook page, or you can contact the gallery on 01254 233782 and ask to have your email address to be put on the event mailing list.
Gallery Kitchen Tea Room
The Gallery Kitchen Opened in June 2015, The Gallery Kitchen is the fabulous Tea Room and Bistro situated within Haworth Art Gallery. With beautiful surroundings and very high-quality food, this is a very popular destination for all our visitors. The Gallery Kitchen oﬀers everything from morning coﬀee, light lunches and afternoon tea to evening meals and sumptuous Sunday Dinner.
Booking is advisable directly to the Gallery Kitchen on 01254 491660. They have now introduced special Gala Nights which include a 3-course meal and live music entertainment, please check their Facebook page for details: www.facebook.com/Haworthartgallerykitchen
Music and Wedding Room
Weddings Haworth Art Gallery oﬀers an ideal location for all weather conditions, set in nine acres of parkland with beautiful views across the Pennine hills. Inside, the Arts and Crafts gallery oozes Edwardian charm with oak-panelled rooms and a magniﬁcent staircase. The interior of the Haworth and the grounds are available for wedding photographs, and wedding cars can be driven directly to the front door.
Entrance Hall Shop Haworth Art Gallery shop stocks an excellent range of greetings cards and glass objects and animals. It also represents local artists from jewellery makers to woodturners which oﬀer unique, one-oﬀ gifts and mementoes. We are currently collaborating with internationally renowned fashion company Deni-Deni. They are a local, ﬁne leather goods, family business and we are working with them to develop a range of beautiful bespoke items reﬂecting the splendour of Haworth Art Gallery and its Tiﬀany Glass Collection. Items will include notebooks, aprons and bags and will be available early summer.
Haworth Stables and Motor House A new attraction has also opened at the Haworth in the shape of the Stables and Motor House Artist Studios. Thanks to National Lottery Funding, via the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), the vacant and semi-derelict former Stables and Motor House at Haworth Art Gallery have been transformed into artist studios by Hyndburn Borough Council.
This rare, grade 2 listed building used to house horses and carriages as well as early motorcars and the complex includes its own above-ground petrol store, one of two surviving buildings in the country. These buildings have now been converted into beautiful Artist Studios which retain their original features and are home to a variety of Artists and Crafts people. The studios and are open to the public every weekend and in addition, the petrol store will be transformed into a small heritage centre focusing on the history of the Haworth family. Throughout the year there are a variety of activities and family fun days based at the Stables and Motor House for everyone to enjoy as well as visiting Haworth Art Gallery itself!
The Stables and Motor House Studios were oﬃcially opened in June by the Mayor and Mayoress of Hyndburn, Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Manchester, Martin Ainscough, plus Haworth Patrons, International Wildlife Artist Pollyanna Pickering and TV presenter Eric Knowles.